Finished Neptune!

Finished Neptune!

Neptune is finished finished finished! I’m so very pleased with this quilt. I’ve seen my sewing skills improve over the course of making it – things like accurate piecing, matching points and corners, and general confidence.

Back of Neptune

Every time I get in bed, the corner flips back to reveal the happy frolicking kitties on the Lizzy House fabric, and I smile. I think it is very important to smile before you go to bed; this kitty fabric was therefore a very wise decision.

Neptune on the bed

Yes, to get this shot, I was standing on top of our dresser, holding the camera as far back as I could. I wish it were just a smidge longer on the the sides, as I’m a complete blanket hog, but I love it, it is done, and it really brightens up our room. My husband, he of beige and navy bedding, walked in while I was taking this, took a long look, and then told me that I make him less boring. That’s winning, I suppose.

And I finished my Lovely Year of Finishes goal!

My Button

Stats
Size: 72″ × 90″
Pattern: Sugar Block Club 2013, Traveling Star, assorted blocks from Vintage Quilt Revival
Quilting: All over stipple on my Juki
Fabric: Kona Poseidon bundle + a few extra Kona solids in pink, purple, blue, and yellow for the front and Lizzy House Catnap on the back

Advertisements

Quilting Neptune

Quilt of Neptune is nearly finished!

Quilt of Neptune

I finished the quilting yesterday, will bind today, wash for crinkle tomorrow, and then put it on the bed where it belongs!

Linking up this oh-so-brief post with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

To Finish In March

I’ve been wanting to participate in A Lovely Year of Finishes at Fiber of All Sorts for a couple of months now, but my ducks just haven’t seemed to get neatly in a row. January was a month of alternating travel and sickness, February was All Olympics and knitting (tune in this weekend to see a sock FO!), but March will be the month I finish my Quilt of Poseidon. If I end up calling it that. It’s a mashup of 12″ squares from the 2013 Sugar Block Club, Vintage Quilt Revival, and I think a couple of other sources, laid out using the Sampler Quilt On-Point pattern from Vintage Quilt Revival.

So that’s the plan. Here’s a small, dark, blurry phone shot of the progress:

20140307-130540.jpg

According to the running document I keep of my projects, I’ve completed 19/20 blocks. I have fabric and paper piecing templates cut for that last block (the pesky February Block from the Sugar Block Club, for those of you keeping a running tally) and I have the fabric for the simple repeating blocks, the binding, and the back, which will be the delicious Kitty Dreams and Butterflies prints from Lizzy House’s Catnap.

Catnap fabric!

Delicious. Also, my husband picked it out all by himself, and who am I to argue with that level of fabric selecting genius?

I will finish this in March. I will, I will, I will. I want this on our bed by the time the snow melts!

Linking up with the March Goal Setting Party!
A Lovely Year of Finishes

Blue Cross Block

I’ve finished one more Poseidon block! This is Red Cross (well, Blue Cross) from Vintage Quilt Revival. It’s paper pieced, and while the component blocks went together easily, putting the block together was more difficult for me. I repicked it several times trying to get the points to match closer, and finally decided that it was Just Fine.

Red Cross Block

With this one done, I only have three more blocks to finish! And one of those, Geometric Star, is half pieced. I need to cut fabric for the other two (Dakota Star and the February Sugar Block I’m going to remake) and cut fabric for the alternating plain blocks, but this is coming along! I want to have it done by spring to freshen up our bedroom.

Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

Four More Poseidon Blocks

I’ve had a bad winter head cold over the past week and a half. The weekend was spent in a haze of nose blowing, soup making, and sitting on the couch with a glazed expression on my face. I did find that leaning forward over my cutting/sewing table helped alleviate some of my congestion, so I cut fabric for all the rest of my Quilt of Poseidon blocks. And since Saturday, I’ve sewn four more!

First up, Ribbon Star. The tutorial for this one was part of Faith at Fresh Lemons’ Solstice Stars Series.

Ribbon Star Block

Next, Mosaic No. 8 from Vintage Quilt Revival. I think I’m getting better about keeping my seams even and matching points and corners.

Mosaic No. 8 Block

The other blocks I want to make are all paper pieced from Vintage Quilt Revival. Small plug: this book really is fantastic. All the internet hype is true. I started what I thought would be the easiest, sewed up all the templates, and was about to stitch them together into a block when this happened:

Oops... Improperly printed templates!

Yup, improperly printed templates strike again! I had printed one copy of the Dakota Star template and checked it for accuracy, but forgot to check the settings before printing the other three copies. Blame the head cold, if you will. As soon as I realized, I checked my other templates and reprinted the ones that weren’t the correct size. Two were the right size, Exploding Star and Wheel of Fortune.

Exploding Star Block

Wheel of Fortune Block

These two came together mostly OK – I cut the green fabric nearly too small on Wheel of Fortune and had to piece it in places, but it looks fine. And I’ve reprinted the last few templates and I’m hoping to finish these by the end of the month! Regardless, I feel very productive despite being a bit sicky!

Thank so much for your advice on requilting Foxes Out My Window – I’m still having a think, but I like thought of pinning for extra stability. I’ll keep you posted!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!