Foxy Finish

Fields of Foxes is done, squeaked in juuuust under the Lovely Year of Finishes deadline (original goal post here). As in today was the last day to post the project, and I stitched up the binding last night. Fields of Foxes was a Craftsy workshop (project page here) and I really enjoyed the format and discussion.

Fields of Foxes Finished!

A kind colleague at work helped me take these photos. She’s also a quilter, so she understands the need to document these things.

Fields of Foxes back

Fields of Foxes was also one of my goals for the Q2 Finish Along. Which means that I completed all of my goals this quarter! Frankly, I’m surprised I finished everything, because I feel like it was really busy! Next quarter will not be nearly as productive, but I am really excited about the projects I have planned!

Advertisements

Adventures with Seam Ripper

After spreading out all my fabric across the floor and reorganizing a lot of it, I managed to select fabric for the back of Fields of Foxes from my stash. The teal and white print is Put a Lid On It from Michael Miller, the grey chevrons and bird vine print is from Cloud 9’s collection for Joann, and the blue and green chevrons are from Joann several years ago. Yay for using up fabric that was languishing in my stash!

Fields of Foxes back

Then I got to quilting. Because the fabric is so bold, I was thinking of doing some straight lines along the diagonal diamonds with a bit of FMQ in the diamond centers. Note the operative word ‘was’ in the sentence above. I was thinking of doing that. I spray basted as usual, and then got down to quilting the FMQ bits.

Pretty quilting on Fields of Foxes

Sadly, the back turned into a puckering mess. I didn’t take any pictures because truly, it was disheartening. I have a few theories why:
1. Usually, I FMQ from the center out, but this was quilted from the edges across. I thought that if everything was quilted down that it wouldn’t shift, but I guess that wasn’t the case.
2. The backing green chevron fabric is a little lighter weight than the others and may have gotten a bit stretched.
3. Aliens. Small, pucker-causing aliens.

Also, my quilting thread didn’t get along with my machine and kept snapping.

I talked all this through with my sensible husband and tried to convince him that I’d be okay with tucks. He responded by looking me in the eye and reminding me that I would be much more pleased with the finished product if it had no puckers. So, to the seam ripper I went.

Unquilted

Three nights of unquilting and two thirds of a season of New Girl later, the layers are separate again. This time, I’ll pin baste the sucker and quilt it with some all-over spirals. Boom.

Quilty mail!

Oh hello, fun quilty mail! The jelly roll is for my next (secretish? I haven’t decided) project and I can’t wait to start cutting and piecing.

Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

Two Foxy WIPs

Last Friday, I got the rest of the top and bottom edge triangles pieced from leftover strips and scraps. Mostly, the joins are a bit obvious in the busy patterns of Fox Field but look!

Accidental pattern matching!

A completely accidental pattern match! I’m rather tickled with it.

Husband helped me lay out the quilt and make sure that the colors were balanced and then I got to sewing the top together.

Fields of Foxes top

It is probably going to be around queen sized, especially if I add a nice border of the leftover cream geo print that I didn’t use to make the top and bottom triangles. Husband really likes this quilt too and might insist we keep it.

Fields of Foxes is my June Lovely Year of Finishes goal. Go big or go home, right? I need to work out backing; part of me wants to splurge for a great whack of the Fox Trot print and another part of me insists on using what is in the stash, which is probably wiser and more thrifty.

While I’m pondering backing, I started on another WIP project. You may remember that I wanted to requilt my first quilt ever, Foxes Out My Window, which I got started on this week as well. I removed the binding and ironed it, and then started pulling out the quilting. I’m starting from the middle and working about a block of space at a time. Luckily, it’s pretty easy, because my old machine had such terrible tension! The quilt still a little crinkly from the first time I washed it, but I like the crinkle and it doesn’t seem to be hindering anything.

Requilting Foxes Out my Window

After these Foxy WIPs done, I have a whole bunch of ideas of what to cut next: a plus quilt, Ring Toss, Metro Rings, something using Tula Pink’s Salt Water or Acacia lines, experimenting with the Quick Curve ruler… I think the planning and drafting stage may be one of my favorite parts of all this!

I’m linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. Oh and hey! Lee also started hosting #WIPWednesday on Instagram too – I’m lucymade over there as well!

Foxy Diamonds and Triangles

It’s been a while since I’ve worked on a new quilt top and this one is so much fun! I got this kit from Craftsy (project page here); the pattern name is Fox Tails but I’m calling this project Fields of Foxes.

Fields of Foxes diamonds

So far, I’ve finished all the large diamonds and side triangles. I also originally planned to make the top and bottom triangles using the log cabin technique is going well.

Fox Fields scraps

Well, if going well means scattering strips and scraps all over my sewing area! Some strips have to be pieced, but it’s working well. Five more top and bottom triangles and I’m ready to put together the top!

Linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.