Boom. Chuppah done. I finished it over the weekend and the brides think it’s great. (I think it’s great too.) I actually went with a more streamlined version of my original plan, which was to quilt through the middle, but I think that step is unnecessary, and will make turning it into a quilt more difficult. The HST blockss shed a lot of loose threads putting the top together, so I’d like to try not to manipulate this top very much until it can be sandwiched and quilted as a quilt.
The chuppah has loops at each corner for attachment to the chuppah poles during the ceremony; I sewed them firmly but you never know. It seemed to do OK hanging on the fence like this, but I’m not sure what will happen if there’s a stiff breeze on the day. I’m sure it will be fine!
I don’t think I’ll use the technique of chain piecing the rows together and leaving them connected as the quilt grows and then sew the whole thing together. It made ironing and sewing the rows together very fiddly, and I still had to trim the threads in order to iron open the seams. So – a good experiment, and I’m glad I tried the technique, but going forward, I’ll put tops together my usual way.
In other news, my Rainbow Meadow is coming out of hibernation. All the pieces are cut and organized and ready to sew and now I’m sewing. The blocks are a bit fiddly, what with the curves and ironing them a certain way, but the end result is making me very, very happy.
Oh and hey! It is Wednesday, so I’m linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!